Limited Offer!

For a limited time Platinum VIP will give you LIFETIME VIP!
Help us Grow Mannconomy by supporting today!
We are almost at the Alpha stage but need your support!

Note: Lifetime VIP will cover any and all brother/sister sites and/or servers we start including MannConomy!

Author Topic:  Random add's for cash trades  (Read 396 times)

Offline Reggie

Random add's for cash trades
« on: April 16, 2012, 06:03:38 AM »
Just thought i would put this out there.

Im getting like 4 random add's  from people asking for cash trades on my items every day ! ! !

I take it as all these are scammers trying their luck, I have recently moved  of my promo's to my idle account in a private profile  to try and stop these people from adding me, but im still getting them.

Anyone else getting the same thing happen, or am i getting targeted but 1 scammer with ton of alt's or is this is just what the community is riddled with at the moment.

Anyways just keep a eye out people  ::)
« Last Edit: April 16, 2012, 06:05:25 AM by Reggie »

Offline patymcd [MCT]☂ReadNotes

• MCT Admins
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2012, 09:15:58 AM »
I have an extensive block list.. your not the only one who receives these. My ignore button should be broken , but report fishy/scam offers to steam rep with chat logs / proof to prevent others being scammed.
Always fresh

Offline Awesome McCoolName

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2012, 11:34:22 AM »
There are a lot of scamemrs around and i get added all the time by people who are not only on an account that was just created, but also by people who have 3+ scammer tags. Its unavoidable because by having a post on tp/outpost you're inviting any potential scammer to your account. Personally I always accept the friend request (unless their already marked), this way i can get another scammer marked and with any luck help prevent future scams.

Just a general rule: ALWAYS be careful when someone adds you (or when you add someone for that matter). Just because someone made an offer on outpost/tp doesnt mean their legit.

Also, one thing i've noticed is that scammers are getting smarter and aren't making ridiculous offers as much. So, just one more thing you have to be careful about.

A few simple rules to prevent getting scammed:
--only deal with reputable people. (check their rep for important traders posting rep).
--take a look at their friends list--see a bunch of scammers? or a bunch of SR donators/admins/trusted sellers.
--Always think about the offer and think about the legitimacy of the offer. Was the offer higher than the buyout, or even the same for that matter.
--Always check the person's profile and steamrep yourself. (dont just trust him and assume the link he sent you was actually his profile/SR).
--Another thing, which is often overlooked, check their recent aliases, reliable traders usually don't change their name that much, and when they do it usually isnt a drastic change. Scammers on the other hand will often change their name to someone who's well known (aka impersonation).
--And finally my favorite form of proof that you wont get scammed--an old account with a lot of games. Generally scammers have new accounts with very few games. 
« Last Edit: April 16, 2012, 11:43:30 AM by Awesome McCoolName [MCT] »

Offline riauku [MCT]

• MCT Admins
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2012, 04:13:47 PM »
To add since this has been occurring a lot lately.

Be aware of fake interjection impersonation scams. This has happen to Jenaxs and has recently happened to swift fez. They both received cash offers from highly suspicious accounts. While in talks of the trade  They both accepted trade request from what they thought were MCT admins, who claimed to be the real mct admins and middleman the trade. Well of course the accounts were fake, and scammed them of the items. So when the scammer left and asked for the items, they soon realized they were scammed.

So remember this. The admins will never send you a trade request for a middleman. You should always make the trade to us to prevent this. Always confirm that you are trading with us over mic, over email, through snail mail. Always confirm with us do what ever it takes. Even friend request us if you have too.  Following this steps above will prevent you from getting scammed.

Offline [MCT] Swift Fez

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2012, 05:45:12 AM »
Be aware of fake interjection impersonation scams. This has happen to Jenaxs and has recently happened to swift fez.

Yeah. i was talking to robinson (the real one) and then recieved a trade request, out of nowhere, from someone else, also called robinson. i traded him and gave him my items before i realised. what did i lose? 2 big ones. a community sparkle mann co key, and a 1 of a kind eerie stash :/ belive me, after losing that, ill never let myself be scammed again....

'I could shoot you. But that would be too cliche. Instead, i will become a businessman, and trade items until i am richer than you. Ha. That'll show you.'

Offline Stephen

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2012, 01:17:26 AM »
A lot of people add you asking for money? That hasn't happened to me once.

go up